Friday, December 9, 2011

Effect of Crystallization on Protein Quaternary Structure

This talk was given at BioPhysChem2011 (3-6 December at the University of Wollongong) on 6 December 2011. It deals quantitatively with the expected changes to protein structure when the protein-in-water phase is changed to a water-in-protein phase during crystallization. For the first time there is a chemical explanation of why crystal structures differ from native structures as detailed throughout this blog. Click on the title of this post or here to view the slides, including animation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting. Is there a publication out already?

Don Vanselow said...

No, there is no formal publication yet. At this time the vast majority of scientists still believe that crystallization has
no effect on quaternary structure. The belief is longstanding and very strong, although there is no evidence to support it. I am currently documenting the lack of evidence and the origins of the belief. I don't think my work on crystallization will be well received unless accompanied by a critique of the prevailing belief. However, it might just be enough to use the thermodynamic/mechanical evidence in my 2002 paper to justify a paper on protein crystallization. I know that it would be easier if I affiliated with an academic institution. I also know that what I am saying differs from accepted "wisdom" and
makes institutions nervous. Let me take this opportunity to appeal for help and advice. Any interested scientist may email me
at dvanselow@hotmail.com